10 Hummus Recipes (Read 1431 times)
IshWitch
God Member

If you got it FLHaunt
it!

Hummus Recipes
01/17/12 at 17:06:48
Print Post  
I am going to try this recipe this week as soon as I find the Tahini. We love to have hummus available and want to see if making our own is cheaper.
Wink
Hoping this one is as tasty as CFQ's!!!

Hummus is a creamy puree of chickpeas and tahini (sesame seed paste) seasoned with lemon juice and garlic, and is a popular dip and spread in Greece and throughout the Middle East. Hummus can be served as part of a meze platter; with bread or vegetable crudités for dipping; as a spread or filling for pita bread; or as a tasty, creamy alternative to butter in sandwiches. A spoonful or two of hummus can also add richness to Mediterranean-style soups and stews, and it can even be spread over grilled chicken or fish. And for a simple, healthful snack, you can enjoy it spread onto celery sticks.
2 cloves garlic—roughly chopped
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup water
14 oz (400g) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)—rinsed and drained
½ cup tahini
1 teaspoon sea salt

PLACE all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, scraping the sides occasionally.

Variations: Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the hummus and sprinkle with a small amount of paprika. And If you like a spicier hummus, add a small red chili (chopped) or a pinch of cayenne pepper, or try a little cumin for a more exotic variation.

Tip: Prepare extra quantities of this hummus—it can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 1 week and frozen for up to 3 months.

~and I would not be convicted by a jury of my peers, still crazy after all these years~Paul Simon&&^S^ Do not meddle in the ways of Dragons, For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup! ^S^
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

IshWitch
God Member

If you got it FLHaunt
it!

Re: Hummus Recipes
Reply #1 - 01/17/12 at 17:12:26
Print Post  
This one has twice as much chickpeas and half the tahini, hmmm...

Homemade Hummus

Ingredients

2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chickpeas
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup tahini
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt

Directions

Reserving 1/4 cup liquid, rinse and drain 2 cans chickpeas. Place chickpeas and reserved liquid in a food processor. Add 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup tahini, well stirred, 2 garlic cloves, chopped, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt. Process until smooth.

~and I would not be convicted by a jury of my peers, still crazy after all these years~Paul Simon&&^S^ Do not meddle in the ways of Dragons, For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup! ^S^
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

IshWitch
God Member

If you got it FLHaunt
it!

Reply #2 - 01/17/12 at 17:24:57
Print Post  
Okay, so I had found a 3rd hummus recipe that looked good but had different aspects to the ingredients like less tahini, less garlic, more beans, lemon juice and salt. But as I read through the reviews it seemed as though 1 out of 10 people didn't alter it! Even the person that had posted the recipe and said it was "an old family" favorite left an update with alterations! WTH?!? Obviously he had screwed something up!
However!
In reading through the reviews I found this post for making homemade Tahini! Very simple and easy, stores for a long time, and much cheaper by far than purchasing!
Just had to share!
Smiley

"To make a homemade Tahini take a cup of toasted sesame seeds (brown in 350 degree oven for ten minutes stirring often, let seeds cool 20 minutes before mixing) and 1/3 cup olive oil. Mix together in blender until paste. Store up to three months in airtight container in refrigerator. I found the sesame seeds extremely cheap at Sprouts and our local 99 cent store. In the grocery store they were $4 a bottle in the international section. Much easier to find and cheaper then buying tahini premade and not difficult to make at all. Yum!"
« Last Edit: 01/17/12 at 19:25:09 by IshWitch »  

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Kindred Spirit
God Member

Unforgiven

Reply #3 - 01/22/12 at 20:24:37
Print Post  
Looks like you're on a mission! Let us know how they taste, I love all kinds of hummus.

"You've got red on you."
"Aim for their heads, baby Jesus!"

IP Logged

IshWitch
God Member

If you got it FLHaunt
it!

Reply #4 - 01/23/12 at 17:15:51
Print Post  
Found a compromise recipe that floated between these two more or less.
It came out really good! IMHO!
LOL!
Will post it later, is a great base for tweaking for sure!

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

IshWitch
God Member

If you got it FLHaunt
it!

Reply #5 - 01/24/12 at 18:50:07
Print Post  
Okay, here is what I used, was delicious, and can't wait to try again with a few spins to see what else we like.
2 cans (15oz size) garbanzo beans, drained (save liquid)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup tahini
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon coarse salt (used some sea salt hubby had smoked)
pinch of cumin (needs more)

Dumped it all in the food processor and mixed until smooth. Had to add a bit of the reserved bean juice, so don't throw that away until it is right where you like it.
I chopped up some black olives and put that on the top. YUM!

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

IshWitch
God Member

If you got it FLHaunt
it!

Reply #6 - 03/28/15 at 00:34:24
Print Post  
I lost my written down one. So glad I had this here to get the recipe!
Smiley

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

hamm
God Member

Fellow Flaunting Florida
Haunter

Reply #7 - 05/11/15 at 15:49:08
Print Post  
Love the Hummus Ish. Sharon makes it with the roasted red peppers. Maybe I can convince her to make some for HE.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try."  Master Yoda
IP Logged

IshWitch
God Member

If you got it FLHaunt
it!

Reply #8 - 05/14/15 at 02:26:18
Print Post  
Love roasted peppers, YUM!
And black olives in hummus...Heaven!

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

hamm
God Member

Fellow Flaunting Florida
Haunter

Reply #9 - 05/15/15 at 13:39:20
Print Post  
Can't say I've had olives in it.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try."  Master Yoda
IP Logged